This exclusive bare root Astrantias collection (also known as Masterwort) has specially been curated for passionate UK gardeners. These delightful and versatile plants are the true jewels of your summer garden, adding an unparalleled charm to your herbaceous borders.
Excelling in shaded sites, the Astrantias exhibit their resilience and beauty, thriving in soil that is both moist and rich in humus. As the blissful midsummer arrives, these captivating Astrantias command attention as they burst into bloom!
Showing 1 - 7 in 7 items
Bare root Astrantias, also known as Masterwort, are fascinating plants that belong to the Apiaceae family. These herbaceous perennials are prized for their delicate, star-like flowers and attractive foliage.
Here are some interesting facts about bare root Astrantias:
- Hardy Perennials: Astrantias are hardy perennials, which means they can survive through winter and come back year after year. They are known for their resilience and adaptability, making them a popular choice for gardeners in various climates.
- Star-Like Flowers: The flowers of Astrantias resemble tiny stars, with a central cluster of florets surrounded by papery bracts that give them a delicate appearance. These flowers can be white, pink, red, or even greenish, depending on the variety.
- Attracts Pollinators: Astrantia flowers are rich in nectar, attracting a wide range of pollinators, including bees, butterflies, and other beneficial insects. This makes them an excellent choice for gardeners looking to support local wildlife.
- Long-Lasting Cut Flowers: If you love to bring flowers indoors, Astrantias are an excellent option. Their cut flowers have an impressive vase life and can last for several days, adding a touch of beauty to your home.
- Medicinal Uses: Historically, Astrantia has been used for its medicinal properties, especially in traditional European herbal medicine. It was believed to have various healing properties, including promoting wound healing and easing digestive issues.
- Deer and Rabbit Resistant: One advantage of growing Astrantias in your garden is that they are relatively resistant to browsing by deer and rabbits. This makes them a great choice for gardens located in areas with abundant wildlife.
- Low Maintenance: Astrantias are relatively low maintenance plants. Once established, they require little care, and they can thrive in both full sun and partial shade, making them versatile for various garden settings.
- Companion Planting: Astrantias work well in mixed borders and companion planting arrangements. They pair beautifully with other perennials like hostas, ferns, and heucheras, creating an enchanting and dynamic garden display.
- Popular in Cottage Gardens: Their old-fashioned charm and delicate beauty have made Astrantias a favorite in cottage gardens and romantic-style landscapes. They add a touch of nostalgia and elegance to any garden setting.
- Long History: Astrantias have a long history of cultivation dating back to the Middle Ages. They were cherished by medieval herbalists and have remained popular garden plants throughout the centuries.
- Remember, while bare root Astrantias can be planted directly in the ground, it's essential to provide them with proper care and attention during their initial establishment phase to ensure they grow into beautiful, flourishing plants.